Pharmacy Education is a four-year Bachelor Degree which provides a broad spectrum of scientific training. It can lead to employment in a wide range of scientific fields principally in higher education institutions, community drug stores, hospitals, government agencies, research establishments, public health and pharmaceutical industry. It also encompasses pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, household hazardous substances, drug delivery devices and veterinary medicines.
The main concern of Pharmacy Education is to provide pharmacists who are scientifically competent to carry the full range of pharmaceutical services required in health care delivery. After finishing the program, the graduate shall have acquired and developed the knowledge, skills, aptitude and competencies in:
1. conducting scientific research methods and processes
2. developing drugs for prevention, diagnosis, mitigation and treatment of diseases of man and animals
3. identifying, compounding, manufacturing, storing and dispensing of drugs
4. managing drug establishments based on sound entrepreneurial practice
5. providing pharmaceutical care as well as counselling to clients on the proper use of both prescribed and patient chosen medications
6. providing drug and health related information
7. advocating professional and ethical pharmacy practice
8. contributing to the overall social, mental, emotional and physical health of individuals, communities and the country.